The snowstorms that precipitated the recent JetBlue meltdown changed the plans of thousands of travellers throughout North America as airlines rerouted passengers. A friend rerouted through Atlanta landed as her connecting flight started boarding and despite a desperate sprint through the airport, she missed the connection by a couple of minutes. Without any compensation from the airline, she camped in the airport until boarding another flight the next day.
Most travel insurance covers you for cancellations or unexpected illness during the trip. Today, AIG Travel Guard announced new comprehensive travel insurance packages to cover the inconveniences most travellers experience like lost baggage or flight delays. The press release stated:
Most retail travel insurance plans offered through AIG Travel Guard provide:
- reimbursement for accommodations and expenses incurred due to travel delays;
- reimbursement for the purchase of essential items if baggage is delayed;
- coverage against lost, stolen or damaged baggage;
- BagTrak, through which Travel Guard will initiate a search to locate lost luggage and deliver it anywhere in the world, at no additional cost;
- LiveTravel, an around-the-clock emergency travel hotline for finding alternative flight options, rebooking flights, making hotel and rental car reservations;
- Travel Guard Assist, a 24-hour hotline for assistance with emergency medical needs, cash transfers, replacing lost travel documents, pre-trip health and safety advisories and live e-mail and phone messaging to family and friends.
During a recent trip, the airline misplaced my luggage and it cost me $85 to have a clean change of clothes while they found it. I self-insure, and take the risk, but if you are looking for insurance Travel Guard may have a product for you.